Today at STYLEanthropy, let’s go on an adventure – a different kind of adventure – one that involves the Google Pixel and Daydream. When you have these two tech gadgets, you can go around the world, play with magical creatures, or even score a home run. In case you can’t travel, you can still see the world all in the comfort of your home. How amazing is virtual reality technology? So if you are on the fence about getting the Google Pixel or the Daydream, let me share with you about my experience testing these products sent to me by Verizon Wireless. Let’s start with the Daydream View.
Google Daydream View
The Google Daydream is a virtual reality (VR) platform developed by Google, and the Google Daydream View is the virtual reality headset used for it. The first VR headset was released late last year (2016) around November. It comes in three colors at the moment: slate (gray), red, and white.
To run it, you’ll need a compatible phone that is “Daydream-ready” and running on Android Nougat OS. For this example, I’m using it with the Google Pixel smartphone. Other phones that are Daydream-ready are:
- Google Pixel XL
- Moto Z (requires Android Nougat system update)
- ZenFone AR
- Axon 7 (requires Android Nougat system update)
You put the phone in there like so and close the front flap to start using it.
The Daydream View comes with a remote that acts like a pointer. Think of it like a mouse for your computer. Then wear it on your head and start playing!
Pros of Google Daydream View
- If you’re the type who loves to test out new technology, this is a perfect gadget for you. I like that you can enjoy a VR platform on the go, with just your phone. No TVs or game consoles needed.
- I like watching my favorite shows on there. It’s like having a big screen or watching your shows in a theater. The experience is amazing. My husband likes to do this when I’m working and don’t want a big TV to distract me. He can enjoy his show while I work.
- Playing games and discovering different worlds in there is quite relaxing and magical. I played with the Fantastic Beasts “pets” and the experience was pretty marvelous.
- If you’re wondering if it’s easy to use, it is. It’s also comfortable to wear on the head.
- The Google Daydream View is reasonably priced at $79.99. Sometimes it even goes on sale. So when it does, and you have a compatible phone to use with it, I say go for it. Both kids and adults will enjoy it.
Cons of the Daydream View
- At the moment, there aren’t many apps. But that will change in the future. For now, you’ll have to go with the same apps over and over again. But if you’ll be using it to stream your favorite shows on Hulu or Netflix, then you can definitely take advantage of it.
- There aren’t a lot of phones compatible with the Daydream View just yet. Hopefully soon there will be more.
- Okay, this is not important really, but that headset is giving me bad hair bumps right there. Haha!
Overall, I love and recommend the Google Daydream View. I just wish there are more phones compatible so that more people can enjoy this gadget. If you want to learn more about it, read here. Now, let’s move on to the Google Pixel!
Perhaps the best Android-running smartphone I’ve ever tested yet is the Google Pixel. I can’t really think of a lot of cons for this phone except for some minor details that don’t really bother me.
- Yes, it’s not waterproof.
- It only has one speaker which is average.
- The design looks like an iPhone.
- It’s a little expensive starting at $649.
- No wireless charging.
But do those things bother me? Not at all when you have a powerhouse phone with an excellent camera. Just look at the details in this photo with my dog Louis.
Also, I’ve tried a couple of Android phones that have been too buggy for me. Obviously, I haven’t had the chance to try ALL. But this is probably the first one that never failed me. It was fast, user friendly, great battery life, and the Google assistant is amazing! Oh, and did I mention that your phone is NEVER FULL? Having a Google phone lets you store at full resolution in Google Photos. They automatically back up over WiFi, but you can also back up over cellular by changing the settings.
If you are on the hunt for an Android OS phone, hands down, I recommend getting the Google Pixel or the Pixel XL. You won’t regret it.
Now, where to go next? I think the beach is calling… Catch you later, guys!