Today at STYLEanthropy, I’m excited to start sharing some halloween ideas with you. Let’s start off with this Rihanna 2016 VMAs look. Remember when Drake presented Rihanna the Vanguard award, professing his love for her at the same time? Oooh weee! Well, Rihanna was smokin’ hot – from that vampy makeup to her wet hair look… oh and her dress designed by Alexandre Vauthier? That ball gown was so badass with the military inspired details. Let’s get to it then!
Rihanna 2016 VMAs Look: Makeup
I created a video for the beauty tutorial to get Rihanna’s look. Please watch it below.
Now if you’re wondering what products I used for this makeup look, I’ve listed them all below.
- Eyes: UD x Gwen Stefani Palette in shades punk, skimp, zone
- Eyeliner: Make Up For Ever Aqua XL waterproof eyeliner – waterproof, stays on, doesn’t smudge, what more to ask?
- Mascara: MUFE Excessive Lash – love that this mascara doesn’t clump and gives my lashes definition!
- MUFE Ultra HD Liquid Foundation – my holy grail when it comes to foundation. I swear by this product and get a lot of compliments when wearing it!
- MUFE Ultra HD Foundation Stick – works just as great as the liquid foundation. I think I’ll be using this when I’m on the go!
- IT Cosmetics You Sculpted Contour and Highlight Palette – my favorite contour and highlight palette. So many have asked me about it. Super easy to use and highly recommended!
- Laura Mercier Translucent Powder – aren’t you using this yet like everyone else? Set your foundation with this powder, stat!
- Jouer Cheek Tint in Poppy – cheek tint that gives you enough flush!
How to Get Rihanna’s Hair
Now that we’re done with the makeup, let’s get to the hair!
- I used Cricket Centrix Heat Boss Thermal Brush and the Cricket Ultra Smooth Hair Dryer. Did you know that this blowdryer has an Argan Oil and Keratin Protein infused outlet filter? Umm, yeah! It gives you the ultimate shine after a blowout!
- Once I’m done drying my hair, it was time for some extensions! I used this and you can check that post for instructions as well.
Voila! Back to long hair!
- Since I’ve been keeping my extensions curled in its packaging, I needed to do some ironing. I used the Beauty Hardware by Cricket Pro Styling Iron. And yes, this ironing tool is infused with coconut oil and Keratin Protein too!
- Next, I used the MOP leave-in conditioner on my hair and brushed up the top section of my hair. If you want to tease that top part, it’s up to you. For this example, I skipped the teasing.
- I then used the MOP molding cream to hold either side of the hair. You can brush it sideways and secure with a bobby pin if you like. I wanted mine to look a little rough – like I just performed a whole bunch of songs at the VMAs ala Rihanna. Haha!
- Finally, a hairspray like this MOP Firm Finish Hairspray will keep everything in place. Guys, this is an eco-friendly, zero-impact aerosol spray that contains fruit and citrus extracts for optimal hold, anti-oxidant support and UV protection. I was pretty impressed with it too!
Finish the Look
And there you have it… the finished halloween hair and makeup inspired by Rihanna 2016 VMAs look! Oh and by the way, since her ballgown had those trench coat details, I wore a trench coat to mimic her outfit. And don’t forget to wear some statement earrings too!
- Cricket Centrix Heat Boss Thermal Brush
- Cricket Ultra Smooth Hair Dryer
- Beauty Hardware by Cricket Pro Styling Iron
- MOP leave-in conditioner
- MOP molding cream
- MOP Firm Finish Hairspray
Love this look or want to save it for later? Don’t forget to pin this:
Full Disclosure: All products used here were sent by the respective brands. Special thanks to Make Up For Ever and Influenster for the #UltraHDGeneration products to try!